Woman Dies After Getting Hepatitis A from Frozen Pomegranate in Australia – 5 Symptoms of Disease to Save Your Life

425

A 64-year-old Australian woman died after eating a frozen pomegranate that was contaminated with hepatitis A, Metro reports.

Source: Healthline

“Rare and tragic” case

The frozen pomegranate an Australian woman was eating was the Australian-owned Creative Gourmet item recalled two months ago, according to The Sydney Morning Herald. Paddy Phillips,  South Australia chief medical officer, said that 2,000 packets of the Egyptian-grown pomegranate arils were sold, however, after the news was spread only 226 packets were returned.

“The majority of people infected with hepatitis A recover fully and the woman’s is the only linked to this recalled product nationally to date,” Phillips said. “While we expect most people would have disposed of the recalled product, we urge everyone to double-check freezers and remove any affected products.”

Hepatitis A attacks the liver is transmitted through sex or by touching contaminated food or products.

Previously, the company was also forced to recall the frozen mixed berries items following hepatitis A outbreak.

Symptoms of hepatitis A

from hepatitis A is a rare phenomenon as approximately one in 250 ill people die. It can take between 15 and 50 days before symptoms of hepatitis A become apparent. Here are important symptoms of hepatitis A:

  • Fatigue, nausea, vomiting, poor appetite, joint pain, and headaches;
  • Yellowing of the skin and whites of the eyes;
  • An enlarged liver and right upper abdominal pain or discomfort;
  • An enlarged spleen;
  • An unintentional weight loss.

MORE HOT NEWS

Like this post? Let us know!
  • CoolAF (0%)
  • Cool (0%)
  • Whatever (0%)
  • Boring (0%)
  • WTF (0%)
Summary
Woman Dies After Getting Hepatitis A from Frozen Pomegranate in Australia - 5 Symptoms of Disease to Save Your Life
Title
Woman Dies After Getting Hepatitis A from Frozen Pomegranate in Australia - 5 Symptoms of Disease to Save Your Life
Description
A 64-year-old Australian woman died after eating a frozen pomegranate that was contaminated with hepatitis A, Metro reports.
Nexter.org
Nexter.org
Nexter.org
https://nexter.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/logo_nexterbg.jpg

More News from Nexter