Air Italy: Key Facts to Know About New International Airline From Qatar Airways Everybody’s Talking About

426

Just a few weeks ago, Air Italy accepted its first 737 MAX aircraft from Boeing. June 1, the made its maiden voyage between its hub in Milan and New York’s JFK airport.

Here’s what you need to know about Italy’s new .

New Air Italy

air-italy-photo

Source: AirlineGeeks

A new — Air Italy — made its maiden voyage on Friday between its hub in Milan and New York’s JFK airport.
The aims to reposition Milan’s Malpensa airport as a major international hub, while creating a high-quality service and experience-focused product.

Air Italy isn’t technically a brand-new but is the rebranded version of Italian carrier Meridiana. Qatar Airways recently bought 49% of Air Italy and it’s helping remake what was a lesser-known Sardinia-based  into what it hopes may one day become a serious international player.

In late-2017, Qatar Airways — the top-ranked in the world in 2017— announced that it was acquiring a 49% stake in Meridiana, which it planned to overhaul and rebrand as Air Italy. The other 51% is held by the previous sole shareholder Alisarda, which is in turn owned by the Aga Khan Fund for Economic Development, as reported by aviation news website The Points Guy. The two companies — Qatar Airways and Alisarda — have formed a new holding company for Air Italy, AQA.

Routes

air-italy-photo

Source: Air Italy

Air Italy said it wants to compete with larger international airlines instead of fighting budget carriers like Ryanair or Vueling on shorter intra-European routes.

Air Italy is making a big bet on Milan, Italy’s industrial capital, and will launch seasonal flights between Miami (MIA) and Milan just a week after its inaugural flight to the US. The will use Milan Malpensa Airport as its hub — underserved from long-haul point to point flights and as a connecting hub.

Right now, most people traveling long-haul to and from Milan have to connect through a larger European city such as Frankfurt or London.

In addition to the Milan-JFK route, Air Italy is launching a nonstop flight between Milan and Miami on June 8th.

By the end of 2018, the will fly to two other international destinations, Bangkok (BKK) and Mumbai (BOM), and it plans on announcing two more long-haul routes before year’s end, Rigotti said.

How much will the ticket cost?

“We are more focused on the service than on the price,” he said. Still, the has been offering frequent sales since it rebranded because it needs to attract new customers in its infancy — and to do that it needs cheap fares.

The onboard experience

air-italy-photo

Source: Air Italy

Air Italy’s long-haul economy class seats will all be equipped with personal in-flight entertainment screens, at a time when airlines have been eliminating those monitors in favor of a “bring your own device” system, sometimes with streaming available from an onboard entertainment server. Flights will be equipped with Wi-Fi, and all passengers will have access to live satellite TV — including matches during the World Cup this summer. Economy seats, which are laid out in a 2-4-2 configuration, have 31″ of pitch — comparable to most full-service long-haul carriers — and are equipped with USB charging ports.

Economy class meal service, meanwhile, will feature Italian wines and dishes, with meals like gnocchi and lasagna, and snacks including pizza and focaccia with aubergines.


MORE HOT NEWS

Like this post? Let us know!
  • CoolAF (0%)
  • Cool (0%)
  • Whatever (0%)
  • Boring (0%)
  • WTF (0%)
Summary
Welcome New Big Player: Key Facts to Know About Italy's New International Airline Everybody's Talking About
Title
Welcome New Big Player: Key Facts to Know About Italy's New International Airline Everybody's Talking About
Description
Just a few weeks ago, Air Italy accepted its first 737 MAX aircraft from Boeing. June 1, the airline made its maiden voyage between its hub in Milan and New York's JFK airport.
Nexter.org
Nexter.org
nexter.org
https://nexter.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/logo_nexterbg.jpg

More News from Nexter